Sunday, February 22, 2009

Brilliant Idea!!

I often think about things to blog about, but my daily living is not much more than going to school, going to work, and cleaning my apartment (really). I have decided to do posts of my favorite things. One favorite thing per blog. I figure that can't take too much time, right?? Especially if it is something I am passionate about. I don't know if it's "brilliant" but I'm thinking it will help me to blog more. WOO!!!

Today's favorite thing is VINYL!!



As many of you know, I am super obsessed with antique vinyl and the way an old record sounds. My dad has a bunch of old records that he listened to back in the day and every once in a while I would take a trip down memory lane with him as he pulled each one out one by one and told a story about them. He remembered most years he purchased them, how much they cost, and certain events he would do while listening to them.

I expressed my desire to own records of my own. My mom told me about this groovy place called Randy's Records in Salt Lake that bought and sold vinyl records. I was ecstatic!! The first time I walked in there, I felt chills run down my spine. The place smelled of dusty cardboard...Weird I know, but it's the smell of antique. I immediately explored the massive selection. I spent a good hour in there and came out with some fabulous stuff, oh, and a hole in my pocket. I have been MANY times since and continue to find some wonderful records.


When I started my collection, I didn't own a record player. I had looked around a bit, but for the time being, I was just excited to have the records. I wish the records could speak of their journey. Which hippies owned them? How many times did they play the record? What joy did these records bring to these people? I often wonder all of these things. My favorite records are those made in the 60's and the 70's. I like all kinds of music, but that is by far my favorite genre. They have all sorts of genres!! I hope my collection will be a library one day!

As my collection grew, I became more anxious to get them on a turn table. My dreams came true on Christmas morning 2007. I immediately ran to my room and grabbed a few of the records and learned the mechanics of "no buttons". Soon there after, my ears were in heaven. It was everything I had hoped for!!!!
To this day, I make trips to Randy's Records and limit myself to a few each time. I have hundreds of dollars worth of records. I am excited at the fact that bands are coming out with a vinyl option. I purchased one after Anberlin's concert last year. So fun!!

Everything from going to the record store, loooking around, and getting home to listen to these records are definitely one of my FAVORITE THINGS!

I invite anyone over to sit back and enjoy a few albums with me. We'll burn some Nag Champa and paint. Good times.











2 comments:

You know, that one girl. said...

Ooh Ooh I want to come over!

Mallory said...

Love this idea! I might have to steal it...